Today, Hollow Knight developer Team Cherry announced the next addition to their beloved metroidvania title, Hollow Knight, called Hollow Knight: Silksong. According to Team Cherry’s blog for the game, they state that “[it] is the epic sequel to Hollow Knight, the award winning action-adventure of bugs and heroes.”
According to Polygon.com, this sequel focuses on “Hornet, the princess protector of Hallownest from the previous game, who provides some challenging fights against the main protagonist, the Knight.” As for the game’s premise, Hornet has been kidnapped and was sent to an unfamiliar kingdom that’s “haunted by silk and song.”
As Hornet, “[you’ll] battle foes and solve mysteries as she ascends on a deadly pilgrimage to the kingdom’s peak.” Team Cherry states as Hornet, “[you’ll] discover new powers, battle vast hordes of bugs and beasts and uncover ancient secrets tied to your nature and your past.”
Team Cherry also detailed Hollow Knight: Silksong’s game features in their blog. Check down below to know what game features are present in the title.
- “Discover a whole new kingdom! Explore coral forests, mossy grottos, gilded cities and misted moors as you ascend to the shining citadel at the top of the world.”
- “Engage in lethal acrobatic action! Wield a whole new suite of nimble moves as you dance between foes in deadly, beautiful combat.”
- “Craft powerful tools! Master an ever-expanding arsenal of weapons, traps and mechanisms to confound your enemies and explore new heights.”
- “Solve shocking quests! Hunt down rare beasts, unearth ancient mysteries and search for lost treasures to fulfil the wishes of the downtrodden and restore the kingdom’s hope. Prepare for the unexpected!”
- “Face over 150 all-new foes! Beasts and hunters, assassins and kings, monsters and knights – defeat them all with bravery and skill!”
- “Experience a stunning orchestral score! Hollow Knight’s award-winning composer, Christopher Larkin, returns to bring melancholy melodies, symphonic strings and heart-thumping, soul strumming boss themes to the adventure.”
- “Challenge Silk Soul mode! Once you conquer the game, test your skills in an all-new mode that spins the game into a unique, challenging experience.”
During development, Team Cherry reports they intended on making this downloadable content for the original Hollow Knight game. However, Team Cherry’s thoughts about the DLC changed. According to Team Cherry’s blog they state that “almost from the very start, Hornet’s adventure was intended to take place in a new land, but as we dove in, it quickly became too large and too unique to stay a DLC, as initially planned.”
Although they know the downsides to their decision–regarding the game’s long development time and their fans’ ability to purchase and play it soon, Team Cherry promises “the final, fresh world you’ll get to explore [will be] worth it.” If Hollow Knight: Silksong’s YouTube announcement trailer’s feedback’s anything to go-off-of, it’s that fans are more-than-fine with Team Cherry’s decision to turn Hollow Knight’s previously announced DLC into a sequel.
On the other hand, Team Cherry’s blog, Twitter post, and YouTube trailer didn’t reveal when the game will release. Furthermore, according to Polygon.com, “the team said everyone who backed the Kickstarter for the original game back in 2014 will receive the sequel for free, with the option to select Nintendo Switch as their platform of choice instead of PC if they backed for more than AU$10.”
As someone who hasn’t played the original Hollow Knight game, I’m stoked to try it–considering the development team’s devotion to the title. Many fans, including Kotaku.com’s, Jason Schreier are stoked about the DLC-swap-for-sequel agenda Team Cherry decided upon. I can’t wait to see what other secrets lay dormant in their title.
We’ll be sure to keep you updated on more Hollow Knight: Silksong news when Team Cherry decides to share more information about this highly-anticipated sequel.
What do you think about this news? Would you have preferred Hollow Knight: Silksong as DLC or as it’s own standalone title in the series? Let us know on Facebook and Twitter, and follow us for more Hollow Knight: Silksong news, and everything gaming too.